Online Therapy Sessions
I would like to provide you with some practical information to help you understand what to expect with online sessions and I will also provide some tips to make sure the process runs smoothly.
It might feel scary or uncertain to have some sessions online but these may be as effective as meeting face to face. My goal is to be able to create a safe and contained space to work with you. I am used to working remotely both online and via telephone to positive effect. If there are any materials/documents that may be needed for the sessions, I will email these through to you before or after the session.
Services & Platforms
This is an encrypted service and is free for you to access and download.
A video on how to use Zoom is here:
If you are using Zoom, I will send you an email before the session which will contain a meeting number. Please make sure I have the correct email before the session. When you open Zoom, it will ask you to enter the meeting number and password so that you can join me. Alternatively, the email will have a link you can click.
For those unable to access the internet, or would prefer to have telephone sessions, I will telephone you at the arranged time from my mobile telephone (07422 723538)
Online & Telephone Meeting Tips
Please make sure that:
- You have your computer or mobile or tablet set up with Zoom before the sessions commences. This includes having the microphone and video turned on.
- Your computer or mobile is positioned at a sensible height so that I can clearly see your face and the camera is at eye level.
- It is very easy to hear background noises (eg. animals and washing machines, kettles, etc.) so please make sure you are in a quiet location.
- Please ensure you will not be disturbed for the duration of the session and keep the door to the room you are using closed. It may be necessary to hold the session from your car/other space, so please ensure the space is confidential and safe for you to talk freely.
- If you are using your computer, please ensure your mobile is out of reach and with the sound muted so there are no distractions.
- Please ensure you do not have your back to a window or light. This can make it very hard for me to see you clearly.
- That there is adequate lighting in the room you are in.
- You have a box of tissues nearby.
- You have a glass of water nearby.
- You may want to have a pad and pencil/pen available (optional).
- You have not been drinking alcohol or taking drugs before any sessions where they may still be in your body.
- You do NOT record the sessions. I will not be recording any of our sessions UNLESS I have prior consent from you and this has been mutually discussed and agreed. If a session were to be recorded, you must sign a consent form.
- You will NOT let anyone else listen in to any part of the remote session (via phone or any other technical device or in person) without prior agreement with myself.
- You will join the meeting at the agreed time.
Sometimes people use headphones during online sessions. I have found that if we can both create a quiet space then there is no need for headphones.
As with face-to-face sessions, the confidentiality agreement that has been signed still applies. I will require the 48 hours notice if you wish to cancel or postpone an agreed session.